- See more at: http://bloggerhow.com/blogger/how-to-implement-twitter-cards-on-bloggerblogspot-blogs/#sthash.mDSLssnM.dpuf

Sunday 2 March 2014

Smoke Barbecue Sheffield

Good for: American barbecue food
Rating: 3.5 / 5
Location: Sheffield, U.K

A welcomed addition to the steel city is the Smoke Barbecue restaurant. I stumbled across Smoke on Facebook and was impressed by the photos and comments to date. I understand the owners of the restaurant were inspired by Man vs Food, flew out to America to learn how to BBQ, before opening a restaurant in a prime Sheffield location (city centre and across the road from Sheffield Hallam University)


At the time of writing, the restaurant is holding a man vs food style competition, it's tempting to take part! 

You will know you are nearby as you will be able to smell the mighty BBQ! The restaurant itself is pretty big inside, we visited midday during the week and we has no trouble getting a table. We were greeted at the door and allowed to pick our own seats. The table and chairs are made from recycled pallets, which has a unique style, but it also a downside. Guess what gets trapped in the cracks? Food! Either a design flaw or some very good cleaning is needed!

You are given some popcorn to nibble on whilst you wait and browse the menu. Our drinks arrived in jam jar glasses, which I quite liked. 

I'd like to return at an evening as I felt midday lunch lacked atmosphere in such a big venue.

I chose the pulled pork burger. I was dissapointed by the chips, but that's because I prefer firm chips for dipping, smokes are quite nice, just a bit floppy! 

I had high expectations for the burger, but I was slightly dissapointed. Perhaps it would have been best to go for the true BBQ experience. 

I was also confused when I visited the toilets, they are decorated with handwritten graffiti. I'm guessing it is supposed to be there, but it's a bit odd to see in a big new restaurant. I'm guessing it won't be long until some offensive additions appear. 

Although Smoke hasn't served my favourite burger and chips, I think it's worth a return visit at night to sample the low and slow BBQ at a peak time.

For now I will rate Smoke 3.5/5. It's a great location, spacious restaurant but it failed to win me over on first impressions and has been memorable for the wrong reasons. 




No comments:

Post a Comment